quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

fencers on ice?

It's cold, I was tired and didn't fence much or well today. But I enjoyed what I did though I frequently hit short or failed to attach the point. I knew it wouldn't be a good fencing day so enjoyed the warm-up and decided to look on every hit as an achievement. But it was embarrassing to find that I was so tired that, when we tested blades before fencing on the electric piste, I'd forgotten to plug in my body-wire. (And it took me a minute or two to work out what was wrong!)

A woman foilist had missed club night last week to go skating at the ice rink. And I suddenly realised there was an unexplored sporting and filmic opportunity. Imagine the aggressive and enthusiastic opponent trying to fleche while skating - or the difficulty of the ballestra on ice.

I can see that it would be a minority sport but it's hard to see why it hasn't been used in film - at least, not so far as I know. Just imagine the scene: Robin Hood, pursued by the Sherrif of Nottingham, runs onto a frozen lake in the middle of Sherwood Forest. He draws his sword and fences the Sherrif on ice. Or, better still, The Three Musketeers could include an additional scene in which the Cardinal and his men visit an ice fair on a wide, frozen river. Naturally, d'Artagnan, Aramis, Porthos and Aramis don skates and prepare to fight ...

And now I hope that someone will enlighten me about a series of fencing on ice films - or a salle at which fencers train simulatneously in skating and epee. It could come in handy .. (you never know)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I'm thinking here, really working it - I can recommend a series where there is high wire walking and swordfights - will that suffice?

Ah- I stand corrected, in Batman Begins, there is a traditional swordfight atop a lake of ice - not except but getting closer - I do try and please

6:36 am  
Blogger kathz said...

I should have recalled Batman Begins. And what is the series with high wire walking and swordfights? (Is there any trapeze? I once watched a friend at her trapeze class - at her circus school in Paris, but that's another story ...)

8:12 am  
Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

It is an anime called Kaleido Star - out on DVD, about a girl, Sora, who gets a place in a famous troupe that does full ensembles like "The little Mermaid" using trapeze, high wire, etc - the main female lead, Layla give Sora a hard time but about episode 13 a new production involves pirates and will feature an ongoing sword fight not just on a high wire but on a high wire on a entire ship which is rocking back and forth suspended above the crowd and on fire. Some of the training they do involves fencing on a high wire on a boat at sea so they can be ready for any conditions. Goes across several episodes and one of my favorite parts of a great anime (out on DVD for region 1, not sure about region 2).

5:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home