quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Sunday, November 12, 2006

wiring a foil

I'm no good at practical things. I was a disaster at cookery classes and chemistry experiments.

Sometimes I can manage on a sort of hit or miss basis - and reckon that with practice I'll be better. So I sat in on the demonstration of how to re-wire a foil.


It began badly. I was asked to take the foil to pieces - something I've done successfully in the past. But it was a pistol grip, whereas I always use French grip, and I couldn't loosen the pommel. After making a fool of myself in front of an audience, I had to pass the foil to a boy (who also struggled, so perhaps I wasn't entirely feeble).

The demonstration included advice like, "you'll need your stanley knife for this." But I don't have a stanley knife. At some point the blade has to be heated on a gas-stove, bent like a bow and left with the right (epoxy) glue in a safe place for several days. And then, on the last day of the procedure, it's still possible to snap the wire. I suspect that's just what I would do.

The demonstration ended with the words, "and re-wiring an epee is much harder."

Steam fencing suddenly has great attractions. Should I ditch my feminist principles and admit incompetence - or just pay someone efficient to do re-wiring for me? I don't think I have the time or skill for this.

I did get to fence a little epee. As in all my fencing lately, I was slow and unscucessful.

Must try harder.


3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Yes, I am 100% with you there - I don't really understand why I need to be expert in wires, and techinical bits in order to hit someone at top speed - yet it seems assumed (by the guys) that every fencer has a deep armourer lurking inside. Yeah, about as much as I have a deep mechanic and deep plumber lurking inside.

9:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is good to explore as many aspects of fencing knowledge as possible. Okay....you may not have a desire to go all the way down the path, but at least you went a little ways and looked around. I think that is a very good thing!

1:56 am  
Blogger kathz said...

It was probably good for me to watch the demonstration and understand how hard it was. As I wasn't feeling too well, there was something to be said for sitting down. I admired the expertise on display. But it was a long demonstration and well before the end I was eager to stab someone - lots of people if possible.

11:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home