quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Sunday, January 21, 2007

the washing line

While fencers elsewhere are competing in tournaments, I am watching wind and rain attack my fencing kit.

Sometimes I wish I had a tumble drier. In summer I like hanging clothes on the line and letting them dry in the sun. The clothes feel fresh and the process at least is ecological - solar-powered drying. But drying takes a long time in winter. Hanging out washing seems to invite rain. As I attach the first garment a cloud appears, or a small patch of grey. Clipping the last peg usually coincides with the first droplet of rain. I can't get so thrilled by the natural freshness of rain water when it provides my clothes with five or six extra rinses over a couple of days. There's always something I wanted to wear dangling damply on the line.

After last week's gales I fastened the jackets, breeches and plastrons with lots of clothes pegs. Mind you, a wind that can take roofs off buildings could probably seize the whole washing line.

There's a few days yet for the kit to dry. And if it doesn't, jackets can drip over the bath before steaming on radiators. I plan to fence on Wednesday -so long as my kit doesn't blow away,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "whites" are Hungarian (PBT) and can't go into the dryer. Timing is critical in the "hang dry" process and try to convince myself that it looks rugged and scary if it smells a little (but is hidden a little bit with a squirt of cologne in my bag in the morning) and has some dirt showing. Will the thing be dry by practice?

Then there is the whole problem of lucky or unlucky T-shirts and fencing socks.

4:03 am  
Blogger Brian said...

You could make a little extra money on the side if you let people know your washing schedule so they could determine when it would rain. Sell it as a forecast for your area. $$$!

5:04 pm  
Blogger kathz said...

I'm sure dirt on whites is the sign of a serious, scary fencer. And thanks for the money-making tip. Of course, we always expect rain in England but perhaps I could get invited somewhere that's warm, beautiful and in need of a fencing rain-maker.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

We use drying racks next to the radiators - takes 1.5 days. As for the wash, the washer in our apartment attacked linda's new breeches and ate three holes (luckily in the back pocket). So, there are all sorts of fencing related washing dangers.

12:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home