quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Thursday, August 03, 2006

holiday reading

No fencing at all - just wandering round France and barely doing anything (apart from some marvellous swimming in the sea at La Rochelle). I limited myself to a very few books and haven't opened all of them yet.

Comments so far:

Murder in Samarkand by Craig Murray
I finished this - an enthralling and horrifying account of life in Uzbhekistan, with a coda in Britain. The author, an ex-diplomat, doesn't take himself too seriously but he knows what is important in ethical terms. Everyone should read it - for a longer review see Areopagitica.

Zed by Elizabeth McClung
For more by the author, see Screw Bronze. I'm about a third of the way through but have wanted to avoid Zed's difficult life for a while, which is a tribute to the book.

The Three Musketeers by Alexndre Dumas
I planned to reach the account of the siege of La Rochelle. Instead I've reached chapter 3.

Light by Margaret Elphinstone
It will probably be as good as the other novels of hers that I've read, but I haven't opened it yet, alas.

Selected Poems by W.S. Graham
I've dipped and this is a familiar and loved book.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Sounds like a good vacation if you are dipping into a bit of this and that - I will definately check out that Craig Murray one - I somehow read three books yesterday and the best was the Eugenics oddity: City of Endless Nigh by Milo Hastings from 1920 - the best book the previous day had been written in 1750 - so I am working my way toward modernity. Can you pick up some nice olives for me while you are in france - thanks! (oh yeah, and that purple garlic)

2:51 am  
Blogger LeperColony said...

I have never finished Musketeers. I've read the Count of Monte Cristo though.

7:52 am  
Blogger kathz said...

I seem to have lost all my time to read. I don't seem to be managing much at the moment. Count of Monte Cristo is a great favourite and I recommend the newish Penguin translation which includes bits left out of earlier versions.

6:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home