quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Friday, April 14, 2006

fencers on holiday

Wednesday was my last night of fencing for a fortnight - and it came at the end of my last day in the office for a week and a half. Only half the usual number of fencers turned up and it was a strange evening of casual fencing and more conversations than anything else. Only one chance of epee but I managed a couple of hits to the wrist so was pleased. One advantage of always fighting better and more experienced fencers - rather than fellow beginners, as I did for ages in foil - is seeing my own improvements, slow as they are.

With no need to wake the teenagers the following morning, I even went to the pub afterwards with fellow fencers. (A good range of real ales for anyone who is interested. Marston's Pedigree was off but I had a half of Deuchars followed by a half of Fuller's London Pride. They are both splendid ales; the first recalls visits to the Edinburgh Festival and the second was one I drank frequently when living in London).

And now I'm trying to remember what to do when not working. Well, there's always housework (with the usual backlog) and cooking but I'd like to rediscover leisure and relaxation.

In the interests of having a holiday, we went to see V for Vendetta. I don't know the original graphic novel - perhaps if I did I wouldn't like the film - but we all found the film enthralling. Despite some exciting play with knives, it's not really a fencing film, although the clips of The Count of Monte Cristo (Robert Donat version) do introduce a little swordplay. But it engaged me both as an exciting fantasy story - I was never quite sure what would happen next - and as a film prepared to look critically at the contemporary world and its dangers. The whole question of a government encouraging fear in order to maintain power is one that already interested me. But it's hard to write about the film without either giving away the plot or making it seem dull, which it certainly isn't. There are points at which I would criticise it - but I have to think in order to do so, and too few films really excite the audience dramatically while expecting viewers to think. (The French film Cache, or Hidden, does this too, in a different way - but sadly with no fencing at all.)

A few bruises from last week, but no really bad ones. One conversation in the pub was whether epee or sabre bruises are worse. Somehow I can't imagine doing sabre - all that slashing! - so I'm not in a position to judge. Anyway, the bruises should have faded by the next time I fence. A fortnight seems a very long break. I'd better try to keep fit somehow in the break.

3 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

I think sabre is worse for bruises but more localized, as epee bruises can start at the next and work down to the feet - plus they can sometimes peel the skin right off too! Have a nice holiday.

7:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good ale and time off. Sounds like a good toast!

Enjoy!

3:42 am  
Blogger kathz said...

I got back from my holiday last night. I'm definitely rested now. V for Vendetta seems to have had much more of an impact in France than here. Perhaps this is part of the different attitude to cinema in France. The plots of French films are often less ovious whereas Hollywood cinema - and British cinema to a lesser extent - tends to stick to a plot-shape which allows for very few outcomes.

Anyway, I hope you have all had a good holiday too.

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home