quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

foil, epee or badminton

We share our hall at the leisure centre. The big hall is divided by a green curtain. We have to enter the fencing area at the far end, going up and down the stairs through the viewing gallery, carefully avoiding the serious sportsmen (mostly men - sometimes a few women) in the first part of the hall nearer the entrance. The first part of the hall belongs to the badminton players.

How hefty and muscular badminton players are compared with fencers. Badminton players wear long, baggy shorts revealing their tough knees and muscular calves. They play with immense seriousness and determination - at least, that's how it seems when fencers are passing.

Sometimes, just before our fencing time is ended and the entire hall is surrendered to badminton, the badminton-players stride in determinedly, pull back the curtain and start to roll their nets into place. They did this tonight. They are set on reclaiming their territory and never seem to smile.

The fencers - often light and lithe - lug or trundle kit and weapons past the badminton players, slightly nervous beside such muscular determination.

I think we should challenge the badminton players to a bout or two. They can use rackets and shuttlecocks and we'll use foil and epee - even I wouldn't loose the sabreurs on them. A new sport might be born. At least the badminton players would look at us with more respect.

Meanwhile, an enjoyable evening's fencing. The under 16s had a contest and enjoyed it. I fenced more foil and less epee than I would have liked but emerged feeling relaxed and cheered by the evening. (Well, a glass of wine helps too.) Oh, and I got to fence a less experienced fencer who is less than half my age and realised that I have more skills and speed than I ever expected. (In six months she'll beat me every time - but not yet.)

P.S. I have to admit that I've occasionally seen fencers playing badminton. Worrying.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Nothing worse than a snooty-serious badminton enthusiast. (Heh. Try calling them "enthusiasts" instead of "athletes." I dare ya! You'd be surprised at how abusive they can be with a shuttlecock.)

11:16 pm  
Blogger Elizabeth McClung said...

Congrats on a good fencing night (with no injuries), sometimes we have to take over the hall from a belly dancing class - there is no joy in this. May all your touches be light and perfect.

2:00 am  
Blogger kathz said...

My son told me off for failing to add another good aspect of last night's fencing; he came third in the Under 16 Foil competition at the club - so he too had a good night's fencing.

Thanks for your good wishes.

9:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snooty.....bully....and badminton.
Until reading this, I would have never put those three words together.

11:49 am  
Blogger Oberon said...

......without expectation.....disappointment is not possible.

12:45 am  
Blogger Brian said...

All silly responses aside, badmitton has a LOT of action that translates very nicely to fencing. The top players have excellent lunging distance, and they hold their raquets with a very light touch.

5:05 am  
Blogger kathz said...

I'm sure I would like badminton players, if only they smiled occasionally. (Actually, I have had friends who played badminton but when I had ago - back when I was at school - I was as bad at that as I was at all other sports except, for some reason, ping-pong.) Perhaps I shall start saying hello to them when they charge into our half of the hall. I'll try it tonight.

But they all look terrifyingly fit, muscular and serious. I wonder what they really think of fencers.

5:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home