quaker fencer

kathz isn't quite my name. I may be a Quaker. If I'm a fencer I'm a bad one and I don't do sabre. If I'm a Quaker I'm a bad one - but you've worked that out already. Read on. Comment if you like. Don't expect a reply.

Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Thursday, February 21, 2008

tempi ... and policeman's foot

The chef had beaten me again, with ease. I blame the apple strudel. She recounted with pride the new recipe she had mastered - apparently the successful creation of strudel involves hurling pastry at hard surfaces around the house. Good for hand-eye co-ordination, I expect, and very strengthening for the sword-arm.

I was fencing and losing again when an insight struck me. I was landing all my hits - when I landed them at all - fractionally too late and was being caught off-guard far too often. And I saw what I was doing. I was taking my tempo from my opponent and never trying to set my own speeds.

I'd like to report that I then won every hit. I didn't - I still lost most points. But I began to change the tempo and take control which disconcerted my opponent ... at least, I like to think so. Instead of being hit again and again with the consolation of a few doubles, I managed some hits of my own.

It wasn't a brilliant evening but I felt I'd solved a problem and realised that varying tempi might work for me, even though I lack the speed of my opponents. However, lack of speed and a nagging (allright, excruciating) pain in my left heel was deterring me. Towards the end of the evening I refused an offered bout - perhaps the first time I have ever done so. And I was ever so glad when a veteran sabreuse offered me a lift. She's a nurse in her everyday existence and enquired about the limp.

"Policeman's foot," she told me, and told me firmly to visit the doctor.

He agreed with he diagnosis and has prescribed anti-inflammatories, rest if possible and ice-packs three times a day. "But what about fencing?" I asked. He asked how I used the foot and I explained about lunges. As I'm right handed, lunges put pressure on my left heel. So does footwork. Lunges are not allowed. In theory I shouldn't move much. But he agreed I could stand still and practise bladework and point control. I don't know if I'll find a partner.

At least I didn't mention the fleche ... or the balestra.



Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

not *all* around the house... just in the kitchen.

11:37 pm  
Blogger kathz said...

Chef, you dusappoint me. Still, hurling pastry around is doubtless very good practice for fencing.

6:31 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Policeman's foot the same as Plantar Fasciitis?

If it is, stretching is very important to helping the problem.

Jim

1:54 am  
Blogger kathz said...

It is the same as plantar fasciitis. Advice on stretching would help as I don't know what would aid me and what would hinder recovery.

3:00 pm  
Anonymous webmaster said...

Here is a full website all about policemans foot and plantar fasciitis

9:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home